The Wheels

A very British motorbike

Dymag Wheels

Chris Shelley – Owner, regenerator, visionary, doer

Dymag wheels was started in the 1970s by engineer Max Bostrom. The classic three spoke H section wheels were the must have accessory for serious builders and racers, combining light weight with great looks and a high technical specification.

In 1993 he company had run into financial trouble at which point Chris Shelley (pictured above) became involved. He bought Dymag and helped turn its fortunes round bringing it back into profit. At the time, car wheels accounted for most of Dymag’s production but the most profitable products were the H3 triple spoke bike wheels which were mainly sold to Japan.

In the four years that he ran the company, Chris developed the motorcycle wheel part of the operation from an £80,000 business to a £1,000,000 concern.

He left in 1997 to return to corporate life. He is currently Managing Director of CSA International.

In 2009 Dymag hit financial trouble once more and again, Chris stepped in to help out. This time, the business was split. The existing Japanese partner took the car side to Japan while Chris bought up the motorcycling side and relaunched the company.

“It’s taken two years to get back on our feet,” says Chris, “But we are breaking even now and we have recently invested in new machinery to help speed up the production process. The future looks bright for us

“It’s all about niche players,” say Chris. “Our future is in high quality, low volume production.”

Dymag have new products planned for 2012 and 2013.

This is typical of the spirit of manufacturers who are involved in the Enigma 1050 project – commitment, enthusiasm and effort.

Where you will find them: Sleeves rolled up working like demons to build products they believe in.

Where you won’t find them: In the pub whining about the recession.

To see how the wheels are made, look here

Enigma 1050 – a very British motorcycle being built in Hampshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Surrey, Sussex, Suffolk, Shropshire and Cambridgeshire.